My Library: The Mortal Instruments

"My Library", is a new series that I will be starting on my blog where I will be sharing with you books/series that I have really been enjoying and would love to share with you. I simply love reading, and I love being taken into another world that is not my own and meeting and falling in love with the characters in the story. Books are a great way to escape to, especially when you feel the world you live in gets a little too much to handle. 

Beautiful picture of the Characters from the inside of the cover page of 
Book 6: City of Heavenly Fire.
For my first post, I want to introduce to you a world that has completely captured my full attention since last May of 2013, and it is "THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS", by Cassandra Clare.
Never mind that the movie was a flop, which is unfortunate because this story has the potential to be the next big franchise. The books definitely has the fan base for it. Sadly, the producer did no do enough research and tried to change too much of the storyline, leaving fans like myself, unsatisfied and a bit angry.

I can go on and on about all the things the producer could have done, but I'm not here to review the movie, I am here to review the books, particularly, The Mortal Instruments series of the ShadowHunters Chronicles, because I do love this beautiful world Cassandra Clare has created and the books are a great read.

The Mortal Instruments Series consists of six books.
The books are written for older teens and young adults. So if you are around my age (26), you may find these books to be quite an easy read. This book is also geared towards the fantasy-fiction lovers, so if you enjoy books like Harry Potter and Twilight, you may like this series.

In a nutshell, this story follows a good number of characters, but it starts off with our heroine, Clary Fray, and she discovers the hidden world of demons, faeries, werewolves, vampires, and magic (the Shadow World), and to be frank, it is invisible to the average person, the mundanes like you and I. The only reason you and I are able to live in this world so peacefully despite demons crawling around, is credited to a secret society called the Nephilim; demon hunters, or the police of the Shadow World. They make sure downworlders (vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and faeries) don't cause trouble, and they make demons go back to the world they came from.

And yes, you've guessed it, Clary turned out to be a Shadow Hunter and drags her "normal" human best friend, Simon into this World, and along the way meets a very beautiful, but cocky Shadow Hunter boy by the name of Jace. Yup, you've guessed it again, there's going to be a cringe-worthy love triangle. So in the love-relationship aspect of the story is the pretty typical teenage love, which is always fun to read and laugh about, but that is not the only subject the story focuses on, however, Book 5 gets pretty heavy in the romance department.

I simply love the art work on the covers.
What I love about the story is that it really hits home to a lot of controversial issues that we as a society face, as well as, taboo issues (incest being one of them). If you look pass the teenage dialogue and spelling & grammar mistakes (Book 6 was quite special), there are plenty of obvious and hidden messages that these characters face. 

Cassandra did a wonderful job of character development with each character in the book, especially with our main girl, Clary, whom I have have to be honest, did not like in the first four books, but she really came around in book 5 & 6. Character, Magnus, is sure to a favorite, with his eccentric personality and his compassion for those that he lets in his life (or should I say, forces their way into his life). I am also please to say, Magnus is a regular character throughout Cassandra's other Shadow Hunter series, "The Infernal Devices".

The overall plot is like most fantasy, magical stories where it is a battle between good and evil. However, Cassandra did an excellent job of keeping it original and may I say, the ending really pulls on your heartstrings, but that is all I am going to say, because I want you to experience this series the way I did (knowing next to nothing about it), and hopefully you will be as pleased as I was. 

I just love stories like this and for my next "My Library" post, I will touch on the other Shadow Hunter series, "The Infernal Devices", which is also a completed published series. However, I still need to finish book 2 & 3 before I do. 

I hope this post inspired you to start a new series and if you already are a huge fan of The Mortal Instruments, I hope I did you proud with this post. Leave your opinions for my in the comments section! I would love to read your thoughts! HAPPY WANDERING! ALICE

Comments

  1. your "my library" series gonna be awesome. Can i suggest a indian author book? It chould be "The train to pakistan" its awesome if u read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for the recommendation! I will write it down! =) Hopefully I will get to it soon, but right now I have over a dozen books to catch up on since I seem to buy more than I can keep up with. I really enjoy fantasy books, do you have any recommendations for that genre?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smashbox Drawn In. Decked Out. Holiday Collection Review